THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Julie and Julia


I've noticed that I usually use a lot of different things to season my foods and make them really flavorful, but since I've been here in Berlin, I've been trying to buy as few ingredients as possible because it all feels so temporary. It doesn't seem like a good idea to invest a lot of money in a fully stocked seasonings cabinet for four months (less than three now). Trying to make do with very few spices in the kitchen, I've been cooking pretty simple things – usually one-pot meals that consist of potatoes, carrots (occasionally broccoli and cheese), and turkey.

Right now as I'm eating I'm realizing that I actually like that I'm not adding too much flavor – the food already has so much flavor on its own! Steamed carrots have this really great sweetness that I shouldn't always smother up with my chili powder and pepper. Turkey needs very little to make it taste good. It has a distinct turkey-ness that I didn't really notice before. I've always known potatoes were delicious in any way you can possibly cook it… but mannnnnnn cheese melted over broccoli with just a little bit of cayenne pepper and salt? Awesome.

I'm still going to love throwing garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, chili powder, and pepper into pretty much everything I make… but I just had a thought that seasoning for food should be like clothes! It should just accent the flavors/features that are already there. It shouldn't make the food. Like instead of dying your skin color or something, you just wear a nice color that brings out your eyes! …If that makes any sense at all. =p 


This felt like a very Julie and Julia blog, so I thought I'd title it accordingly =)
This all might have to do with the fact that food just tastes a little different here.  I've also been buying organic more often because it's not much more expensive to and it's more easily available. Most groceries stores that I've been shopping at have seperate sections for organic and Fair Trade items.  It's pretty great! (blog about organic and fair trade labels coming soon). 
 
I've got more of these blog entries saved as word documents since my internet at my apartment is usually wiggety wack, jack. So there will be more to come!

新年快樂! Happy Chinese New Year!

Hugs from the outskirts of Berlin (seriously, I live on the outskirts of Berlin. I can walk to the border of the next city South of us from here!),

Cary Mofckin' Luu!


 


 

0 comments: